Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 4, 2008

Rain, rain go away......


Oh the rain, the rain, the rain......
Today was perhaps the first day in 10 where it did not rain. The rain that has been falling for the last 10 days has not been your run of the mill drizzle or shower, but all out monsoon, torrent rain.

The worst of the rain was over the weekend where parts of Hilo and surrounding areas saw 19+ inches of rain in a 24 hour period! Can you imagine if that was snow? Highways were closed, or down to one lane in places due to flooding and landslides. The rivers were at astounding levels, making you feel like you were about to be swept off the bridge as you looked over the edge.
Needless to say, the Ultimate field is under about 3 feet of water right now, and even if we wanted to play, we would have to paddle down the highway to get there!

Phil and I are very fortunate that we had no water damage to our apartment. We live in a basement and fully expected to come home every night to flooding. About 120 - 150 homes in the area did suffer water damage so we count our selves as the lucky ones.

As exciting as the rain has been, I am ready for it to be over. I never thought I would get cabin fever in Hawaii, but I have now officially experienced it. Here is to a sunny tomorrow!

1 comment:

teamfunbaby said...

love the snow reference...hjmmm 19 inches of rain...what would that be?
hey i also noticed a picture of you on the skype posting, hey we want some preggo pics!!! can't wait to see the little bambino in da belly!!!