Here I am, nearing the end of week 22, and it has become obvious, even to the untrained eye, that I am indeed pregnant.
Yup, I'm pregnant.
I teach at a Catholic high school.
I am not married.
All of these factors have put me into the "potential scandal" bracket in the eyes of my administration, parish priest, and Honolulu bishop (God hasn't yet weighed in!) . When I told my principal that I was pregnant, back in December, I was asked not to announce my pregnancy to my students or to the faculty. I conceded that easily enough, with the understanding that I don't have to tell people, but of course, I am not going to lie about it either (that would be a fairly futile exercise anyway).
So last week, the buzz finally surfaced and the "is she or isn't she?" questions were answered. It was a kind of two front attack, with students on one side and faculty on the other. First, I got a maternity book in my mailbox with a coy little note from the woman in the business office ( she is a mother of 5, and I have had two of them in class). From there I have gotten notes and little congratulations from faculty and staff all week. From the students, it started with two brave eighth graders who approached me at lunch. Par my agreement with myself, I answered their questions and accepted their congratulations with honesty and gratitude. As I assumed, the flood gates opened from there. Within a day, all my students were talking and excited and have been both warm and generous.
It is really a bizarre situation for me. In my personal life, I haven't really been faced with questions or judgments about my pregnancy, or lifestyle - at least not that I know of or want to know of. All our friends and family have been super supportive and excited. But at work, a policy of denial and ignorance has been largely enforced, and questions have been posed about my place here. I was nervous what would happen when I started to show, and continue to be a little apprehensive about how people will react as I continue to grow. However, I am very pleased with the response by both faculty and students. So far, I feel welcomed and supported here at school, and I believe the "potential scandal" will fizzle into nothingness (fingers crossed!)
Now nearing the end of week 22, I am definitely starting to feel, and look pregnant, in fact I wore my first maternity outfit to work today! Bean has been really active, particularly in the evenings as I am winding down. Last night as Phil and I cuddled up to a movie Phil got to feel him moving around, which was fun and a first.
I promise I will get some pics posted soon, now that I have something to show.
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
yay pics to come!
wow what a heavy posting...preggo and not in matrimonial lock :) that term slays me.
anyhoo you are living in a free country where we can live as we choose...and you go girl...kids know best too...they see you as an awesome teacher who is hapai and going to make a kick ass mama person.
enjoy the pregnancy, its a blessing. and have fun with bean being active, cause soon he will be out in the world and you might forget what its like to have a rolling bean inside you! hard to believe eh? have fun! love your blog
we call ellie bean too but ellie bean as in jelly bean and then the german beanchen...lots o peace and joy
i god has definitely given the blessing! All those other folks jaded by the buracracy can't see the divinity in the swelling of your belly (they're too caught up in red tape). Let's pray for them that they will one day see that all life is divine...and this one made by you and phil, well it is straight from the stars.
Post a Comment