Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, June 20, 2008

Waiting, waiting, waiting.....



Happy Solstice everyone! We are now +5 days past due, doing well, and totally ready for Bean's arrival!
This has been a bit of a trying week, but overall I am doing well. Phil started teaching summer school on Monday, so this week has been all about staying active and busy and keeping my spirits up.
We saw our midwife on Monday, which went well. I dodn't seem to be progressing too much at that point - about 60% effaced and maybe 1cm dilated. She sent us home with a fetal heart rate monitor so that we could be keeping track of his health and make sure he is not getting stressed. So far so good, his heart rate has been mostly hanging out around 140 which is right in the middle of the normal range. He has also been incredibly active. Even as he runs out of room in the uterus, he is rolling, stretching, and poking me most of the day and night through.
The downer of the week came on Thursday when I went into the clinic to see the OBGYN. My doctor is out of town so I saw someone new and I left with doubts, anxiety, and frustration. In what we have come to accept as the normal repertoire of Kaiser, I was asked to schedule an induction and then felt bullied when I declined to do so. The part that irks me is not that they asked to schedule an induction, but that it was done so with no information provided, no whys explained, no options or alternatives offered, and when I explained that we wanted to wait a little longer, I was made to feel like I had already failed the first test of parenthood.
Phil was again a champion in the face of this emotional setback of mine. He was upset that he wasn't able to be at that appointment with me, but will be at our next appointment so we can work through the system together. He is incredibly confident in our choices, and is not in the least bit concerned about our past due status.
So, for now, I am resigned to be patient and positive and not let the calendar get the best of me. I am filling the mornings with walking and water aerobics at the Y, and when Phil gets home in the afternoons we spend good time together. So until Bean comes, I'll just keep on keeping on.

No comments: