Phil and I started a birthing class a couple of weeks ago and we are really enjoying it. I think we will also take the hospital's birthing class, but right now we are enrolled in a class that teaches the Bradley Method. The Bradley Method is designed for couples who will birth in either a hospital, birthing center, or home environment and it emphasizes ideas such as good nutrition, stretching and relaxation, and partner-coached birthing techniques.
It is a super small class, just the instructor, Phil and I, and one other couple. It is small and intimate and is held at the instructor's house out in Leilani estates on Saturday afternoons. Phil and I have complete two classes so far and are both excited about the education we are receiving. We get assigned homework for the week and Phil has been really good about making sure we do it.
One of the assignments is keeping a nutrition log with the emphasis on protein intake. The goal is 100g of protein a day which I have not yet reached! Keeping the log has been tedious, but it has really brought our eating habits into focus. We were eating well before, but now we are much more conscious of how we get our protein, iron, and calcium, making sure we are eating leafy greens and root vegetables and all the good stuff. I think Phil has taken it as his personal mission to make sure I am eating right. This, of course is a huge bonus, as it means Phil has been doing a lot of the shopping and a majority of the cooking! Today had got 63 g of protein - getting there!
Our other essential homework are stretches and exercises. Phil reminds me every chance he gets to do my Kegel exercises (150/day), squat when I need to bend down and then we practice some other stretches before bed. One thing I really like about this program is that it really involves the partners in the process. I think Phil has gotten a sense of purpose and direction in terms of how he can best play his role in the pregnancy. He takes his job seriously!
Other than that Bean is well and kicking! I am definitely growing and becoming increasingly awkward, but that is alright! I am practicing yoga and walking and just trying to make the next couple of weeks of school and work fly by as easily as possible!
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
so great you have a class youdig!!! and also: i had to start eating meat when preggo. had not in 18 years prior. but the diea of five cups of beans a day was too much to handle :) yuck
have fun. you are getting close!!! wahoo very stoked for you all. the classes sound good!
a nice book is birthing from within. i liked the latter half of the book better than the first.
oh
another thing:
take it from a woman who did not do her kegel's...do them. not for birth but post...:) its good you gotta guy who takes that job serious b/c its easy to forget...
aloha
Post a Comment