After our hour consultation with Dr. Hahn I was thoroughly impressed. It was the single most comprehensive conversation we have had with anyone in the medical profession concerning our pregnancy and experience. Our visits with the OB have been a little disconcerting for several reasons. Every visit, including the first visit, has been very brief, very fast, and all questions with the Dr. have been met with round-about non-answers with one foot out the door. Even though I have expressed interest and concern about being a part of the conversation in terms of my pregnancy and delivery, I don't feel like that is or will be the case.
With the midwife, however, I really got a sense of her philosophy on child birth and felt connected to what she offers. I also felt that she really heard our questions and concerns and answered them with sincerity. Phil was more skeptical about seeing a midwife than I was, and he was impressed with the our experience. The other cool thing was that she encouraged us to continue to see our OB for as long as we felt comfortable, and to take advantage of our insurance policy if we wanted. I appreciated this, because she didn't seem territorial about her patients, which are sentiments our OB certainly has expressed.
So after this visit, we haven't made any definite decisions about what we want to do. Phil wants to ask more questions at our OB appointment on Wednesday and get a tour of the hospital. But I feel really good about finally having some options and feeling good about those options. I think a home birth is definitely within the realm of possibilities both financially, emotionally, and physically - but we will see what happens.

2 comments:
very exciting!!! just so you know i support you no matter what option you choose and i sincerely hope that it will the best experience it possibly can be for you both. YAY!
that rocks you found someone who respects you, and your thoughts and expeirence. This is amazing experience, and its bizarre that OB's can be so not in tune with that aspect of this...so that rocks you found someone who is awesome. yay!!!
enjoy. and you know i was told to be careful in hilo with OB's, they sometimes will let you go if you tell them you have a midwife. its weird. One guy actually has people sign a waiver that says they indeed are not using a midwife...
WEIRD...
anyway...enjoy and you are stoked you have options with the homebirth etc.
Post a Comment